“It’s not even funny how feeling incredible this 3D arm is.” – Joey Weiss, Harry Pearon’s Apprentice
The past 3 years VPI has been focusing mainly on new/entry level audiophiles and getting them to embrace vinyl for the first time. With the Prime we wanted to get back to our roots and focus on the existing audience with a table that offers quality hi-end sound while taking advantage of our improvements in technology. Also, it was important to show the industry that we will still be making new turntable and designs whether Harry is in the factory or poolside! The Prime is Mat Weisfeld’s first solo design on a table with Harry’s approval as well as input from the rest of the VPI staff. The shape of the Prime is meant to have a curvier and sexy look compared to the “classic” look of our tables over the past 10 years. At same time having the footprint to accommodate the space needed for a 10 inch 3D arm. We were able to get the price lowerfor the 3D arm because of our improved technology and increased volume in printing and supply.
The Prime includes the following:
- 10 inch 3D arm
- VTA Tower for VTA/SRA on the fly
- Classic 20 pound platter and bearing
- Outboard 300 RPM motor housing
- New “Prime” feet which offer improved isolation and better mechanical grounding
- Stainless Steel/Delrin record clamp
- The Prime is also being offered as a package with the SDS, Synchronous Drive System.
- Chassis made of black textured vinyl over MDF with an 11 gauge steel plate bonded to the underside for the ultimate in resonance control and feedback rejection.
- Four solid Delrin corner assemblies designed for isolation and mechanical grounding!! A first.
- A 300 rpm 24 pole AC synchronous motor capable of high torque and quiet operation installed in a separate aluminum and steel machined assembly.
- Inverted bearing – hardened stainless steel shaft, 60 Rockwell chrome hardened ball, spinning in a phosphor bronze bushing and sitting on a PEEK thrust disc. The belt side load is placed at the center of the spinning bearing for zero teeter-totter effects.
- 20 pound damped platter machined from 6061 aluminum to +/- .001” in a 39” circumference!!!
- Motor pulley has an accuracy of +/- .0005” when leaving factory.
- Wow and flutter: >.1%
- Speed Accuracy: >.03%
- Rumble: >85db down
- Overall Dims 21 3/8″ x 15 3/4″
- Footprint is 19 1/2″ x 13 3/4″
- 54 lbs packing weight
- Pivot to spindle: 258mm
- Effective length: 273.4mm
- Overhang: 15.4mm
- Offset angle: 19.98 degrees
- Average RMS distortion: 0.311%
- Internal wiring: premium Discovery wire, optional Nordost Valhalla
- New design 3d printed one piece body for the ultimate in resonance control.
- Full length copper shielding tube internally
- Adjustable side weights for finer azimuth settings.
- Built in “Easy lift” finger lift.
- Offset stainless steel counterweight for stability
- Easy setting of VTA/SRA in thousandths of an inch, calibrated and repeatable
- Adjustable anti-skate.
- Periphery Ring clamp for the ultimate in record warp reduction
- HR-X Center Weight, perfectly complements the periphery clamp
- Synchronous Drive System (SDS) for the utmost accuracy in motor speed and fine speed adjustments.
- Single Motor Flywheel (must be used with SDS)
“The VPI Prime is a solidly built, audiophile quality turntable utilizing modern technology including a remarkable 10” 3D printed tonearm that can accommodate a wide range of cartridges, offers manual adjustments, and superb isolation/resonance/mechanical noise control. It is also curvy and sexy (Oh Pretty Woman!) non-finicky and can be upgraded as well; what more can one ask for at $4000?” — Karl Sigman, Audio Philia
“The company with the following of VPI could easily struggle in the handover from father to son. But with Prime, and especially with the JMW 10 3D tonearm, Mat is proving himself not simply a safe pair of hands, but an innovative designer with a good pair of ears in his own right. This would be an extremely competent turntable from the drawing board of an established expert with decades of experience under his belt, but from a comparative newcomer, the Prime is a true star. Very highly recommended.” — Alan Sircom, Hi-Fi+
“The VPI elevates vinyl playback to something truly spectacular. I have listened to and used designs that cost considerably more than it does that cannot eke out a decisive advantage over this deck and I have enjoyed every second of using it. The best performance is likely to depend slightly on cartridge choices and setup needs to be undertaken with a degree of care but the way I see it, those foibles are fairly irrelevant given that once you have the Prime up and running, you are entirely unlikely to ever want to put it back in the box.” — Ed Selley, AV Forums
“This is a very high performance turntable package offered at a very competitive price. It has been 100% reliable and seems, so far at least, to hold its settings without further adjustment. The dynamic presentation, powerful bass and extended, clear treble produce very enjoyable listening sessions with remarkable see-through connection to the music. Notice that I did not write “at this price”. The VPI Prime is a turntable that looks great, has some very effective technology, and is a well-executed design that simply sounds very good. Very good, indeed.” — Ed Selley, 10 Audio